Monday, October 4, 2010

Green Juice (Without the Juicer!)

Lately my body has been telling me to detox, I've done it all before, green smoothies, teas, raw food. I've never tried juicing, but darn my luck, I don't have a juicer :( I was looking online and apparently you can make juice by blending up your veggies with a little water and straining it through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth! Well that will do nicely! Here is how it's done:

1 apple
Juice of half a lemon
1 inch of ginger
1/4 of a bunch of celery
1/4 bunch of dandelion greens (fave!)
2 cups of a spinach salad blend (spinach, raddichio, and arugula)
1 bunch of parsley
1/2 cup water


Start by blending the apple, celery, lemon juice and water. Leave the leafy stuff until you have a good liquidy base. Put in green stuff. Blend on highest setting for a good minute or so. I don't even have a Vitamix, I used a regular blender. If you have a Vitamix type blender you don't have to blend it for that long.


Then, make a contraption that looks like this. I used cheesecloth to strain because I don't have a nut-milk bag. Straining with a nut milk bag would probably do a more thorough job.


Pour blended mixture in cheesecloth/strainer.


Gather sides of cheesecloth together and SQUEEZE!


Look at all the pulp! Raw veggie crackers?....hmmm


Aaaand.....Green juice!! This recipe makes about one half litre of juice or 2 1/2 cups.









6 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! Thank you!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so beautiful! I will have to remember this when my juicer breaks down! LOL... it will work for months then stop for a few days and then work again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! I'm all about green-smoothies and juices!
    Wonderful pictures as well.
    Thanks for sharing.
    gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! And I'm glad you had a suggestion for the pulp. People tend to forget that it's the fiber, and really shouldn't go to nutritional waste:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very clever. so many people have a blender but cant afford a blender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! I was thinking about investing in a juicer but my blender will work just fine for now :)

    ReplyDelete