Sunday, January 9, 2011

Raw Chocolate-Mint Pie (Vegan, GF)

Whoa guys you have GOT to give this a go. Mint chocolate is my absolute favourite chocolate combination (second is chocolate orange). This was most definitely love at first bite. I didn't have any fresh mint leaves so I used dried tea leaves and extract. If you have fresh mint use that!



Contemporary tart shot ;)

Brownie crust




Crust:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
PInch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed dates
2 tbsp coconut oil

Filling:
2 large avocados
1 tsp lemon
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tbsp dried mint leaves
2 tsp mint extract
1/4 cup agave

Ganache:
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup agave
pinch salt
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp coconut oil

Drizzle:
1/4 cup soaked cashews
1/4 tsp vanilla
water (to thin)
1 tbsp coconut oil

Assemble crust ingredients in food processor, process until well combined. Press into an 8 inch pie plate or tart pan. Chill until firm. Combine filling ingredients until well combined and creamy (in a food processor). Adjust mintiness as you like. Pour filling into crust, chill until set. Combine ingredients for ganache. Pour ganache over filling in a thin layer. Chill until set. Assemble ingredients for drizzle in a food processor. Drizzle over top. Freeze for a more ice creamy pie or chill for a softer pie. Makes one 8 inch pie.

16 comments:

  1. i'm just starting to get interested in raw foods, but this is really tempting to me. i love mint and chocolate together, and the bright green tint is gorgeous! thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks outstanding! I love the colors. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Chocolate mint is one of my faves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. new blogger here...have seen your recipes on vegweb before. i think i might be intrigued by the whole raw foods thing. chocolate never hurts, either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm speechless! Amazing. I want a big slice of that right now! And love that the crust doesn't have the ubiqutious (in raw recipes, anyway) dates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ricki... there are dates in the crust: "1/2 cup packed dates".

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice one! :)))

    you can also add some cacao butter in the ganache for even more chocolaty taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering, mmmm that sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @thekoreanrose: no, at the moment we just do the recipes, but this summer we are planning to start a raw treat business...hopefully! we will of course keep everyone updated about that via this blog. Thanks for the interest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waw!! What a georgous & lusciously looking coloured pie!

    I am so going to make this tasty tarte!

    MMMMMMMMMMMMM,....!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this last week for my husband's birthday. It was the best dessert raw or not that I've ever had. It was soooooo good. I cant wait to make it for my christmas party this year. I think the mint would make it a perfect holiday treat!

    I did substitute raisins for the dates since I think they go so much better in chocolate crust recipes. I like dates with carob and rasins with chocolate. I also added some cocoa nibs. I still felt like the crust was missing something but Im going to experiment more with that. The ganache was too thick so I added a little water so I could spread it (I used thick raw honey) Otherwise I changed nothing and it was just perfect.

    My only question is what is the reason for the coconut oil in the crust? Have you tried it without? I used only 1tbs because I was unsure if I needed it or not since I've seen other recipes with no oil in the crust.

    This was so great, thanks for being so creative and posting this!! I love mint!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kristine: oh my goodness so glad you loved it! I usually put coconut oil in my crusts just for that extra firmness, it's just a personal preference but it would be fine as you were saying without it. I love mint too! probably the best chocolate flavour combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made this dessert for my wife. It is truly amazing. Didn't change a thing other than springing the pan with a little dried coconut to help keep the crust from sticking to the pan.

    Every element was awesome. My wife LOVED the ganache topping so much i made an extra batch just to dip frozen bananas in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete